Friday, December 16, 2011

The Mocha Brownies I promised you...

(Minus the one I packed in my sister's lunch and the crispy edge I ate)
Yummy Mocha Brownies!!!
(Adapted from the Ultimate Chocolate Brownies recipe on the back of a Hershey's chocolate chip bag)
3/4 cup cocoa (I used 1/2 cup cocoa & 1/4 cup instant coffee granules)
1/2 tsp baking soda (I didn't have any, so I used 1/4 tsp baking powder)
2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted (I didn't have either, so I used oil)
1/2 cup hot water
2 cups sugar (I only used 1-1/2 cups)
2 eggs
1-1/3 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
Heat oven to 350°F and grease one 13x9x2 inch pan or two 8 inch square baking pans. 

Stir together cocoa and baking soda in large bowl; stir in half of the butter.
Add boiling water and stir until it becomes thick.
Stir in sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 cup butter; mixing until smooth.
Add flour, vanilla and salt; blending completely.
Fold in chocolate chips, and pour into prepared pan. 

Bake 25 to 30 minutes for rectangular pan or 15 to 20 minutes for square pans or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
Cool completely before cutting.  Cut into squares. About 36 brownies

You may frost, if you want. I found the gooey, melted chocolate chip center to be perfectly sweet, so I did not.

Frosting:
6 tbs butter or margarine, softened
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat butter in medium bowl.
Whisk together cocoa and powdered sugar.
Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beat until reaches spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed). Stir in vanilla.
About 2 cups frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment